Wednesday, May 27, 2009

GigaPan Epic 100

So the International Association of Panoramic Photographers is working with GigaPan Systems in the 2009 IAPP photo contest. As part of it, I am writing a review for the Panorama Journal (A magazine IAPP members receive) and boy this thing kicks major butt. This post will be my first thoughts on the GigaPan Epic 100.

The GigaPan Epic 100 is specifically made for larger point and shoot cameras (Like the Canon G10 and the Nikon P6000) and smaller DSLRs with light lenses (Nikon D40/D60/D80/D90 and some of the Canon Rebels). There is a rumor of a full size DSLR version in the works. I'm working with the Nikon P6000, which is a 13MP camera with built in GPS geotagging. The GigaPan unit is mounted on my Gitzo Basalt tripod with a magnesium head. The GigaPan will take full 360 degree images or it will let you program in a specific size.

When I got the package with the GigaPan, I was really impressed. Pulling it out of the box, it looked amazingly simple and possibly very basic. But, upon further inspection, it has a full set of menus that will let you do quite a bit. After configuring the camera for the nodal point, I took some shots with it. It was really neat to see it do what it did. Of course, there were some parallax errors. I had to fine tune the setting of the camera, but it worked out.

One nice thing about the GigaPan is that they have some wonderful videos to help you get the unit setup if you have issues. Of course I watched these videos prior to receiving the unit so it made setting it up a bit easier.

After a few test shots outside I finally figured out where it needed to be. Amazing. I made a full 360 degree image of my street. After taking about 85 shots, I took it inside and threw it into their stitching software. It took about an hour or so to stitch and blend but it got there. The software has issues that I'd like changed and options I'd like them to add, but that's for a later post. I also have PTGui Pro, so I put it in there, too, to see how it would stitch. I don't want to seem like I'm complaining about their software, it does a great job. I just would like a bit more control over the exporting of the image.

Anyway, the image came out nice. Then the software allows you to upload the image directly to your GigaPan.org account for viewing and embedding. They also have a system to where to can embed your images with a view into your own website. You can even embed the image into Google Earth. Pretty neat stuff. People can view it, leave comments and other stuff. I am incredibly impressed with it.

So, first glance: I love this thing. I'm taking it on a couple of trips in the next few weeks, so we'll see how it works out. Here is the shot for your viewing pleasure:

3 comments:

Brian Hudson said...

Pretty cool man. I like that mailbox :P did Derk make that?

Brian Akerson said...

Yeah, he did. It rocks. Right now, where it is the darned birds keep crapping on it. No respect. No freakin respect! Did you ever see the polished aluminum fish he made for me and Stutes? If you're real nice, I bet he'd make them for you too.

Niya said...

Pretty good.
Thanks for sharing.

Regards,
panoramic photo stitching